Ever noticed those huge wheels of Parmigiano Reggiano in the Whole Foods Market cheese department? Come see one of these 85-pound wheels get “cracked” in the cheese section on Saturday, March 7, at 3 p.m (Durham event is at 2pm) when the Whole Foods Market cheesemongers will simultaneously crack into more than 85-pound wheels of authentic Parmigiano Reggiano company wide.
These cheesemongers are true experts, and they love talking cheese, so join them in the annual “Crack Heard around the World.” This event will include tastings and pairings and is free to the public.
Love Parmesan Reggiano? Share your favorite use of it in the comments section for a chance to win a $50 Gift Certificate to Whole Foods Market.
· Parmigiano-Reggiano Party Mix
· Parmigiano-Reggiano and Prosciutto Toasts with Balsamic Glaze
· Chicken Noodle Soup with Parmigiano-Reggiano Broth
· Kale Caesar Salad with Parmigiano-Reggiano
· Parmigiano-Reggiano Crisps with Chocolate and Sea Salt
· Parmigiano-Reggiano Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard
· Roasted Kale Chips with Parmigiano-Reggiano
· Each year Whole Foods Market‘s cheese experts visit the Emilia Romagna region of Italy and select wheels from just four producers.
· Each wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano carries proof of its authenticity with an impressed rind and brand.
· Each wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano is 85 pounds and requires special knives for cheesemongers to “crack” it open.
· Only cheese made in area specific area in Northern Italy — Reggio Emilia, Parma, Modena and portions of Bologna and Mantua – can bear the Parmigiano Reggiano name.
· Parmigiano Reggiano is the pride of an Italian food tradition dating back nine centuries.
· Every wheel at Whole Foods Market is aged 24 months (this is the best age in terms of flavor and texture; it cannot be called Parmigiano Reggiano until it is aged at least 12 months).
· Its flavor profile is toasted, salty and nutty with subtle crystal-like texture and a little goes a long way.
Don’t forget to comment below about your favorite use of this great cheese for a chance to win a $50 gift certificate to Whole Foods Market. I personally love eating it when mixed with a good gooey cheese in grilled cheese and scrambled eggs =)